blowing in the wind quilt
It's been TOO LONG since I've finished a real quilt. I'm so happy to have finally finished this one!
I bought this quilt kit from the crazy talented Modern Quilt Studio duo of Weeks Ringle and Bill Kerr last August at the American Quilter's Society show in Grand Rapids. I was so busy through the fall and the holidays last year with my shows that I didn't begin working on it until January. I spent a few days cutting everything out and beginning the piecing, but then I lost my stamina and hung it over the door of my sewing room where it stayed until the beginning of this week.
In the past month though, I've really been excited to make quilts again. I have a big project that I've recently begun cutting out, but with shows starting again soon, I'm not sure how long I'll have to really give that my full attention. I have a few other projects that are started as well, but I knew I'd be able to finish this one up and finally have a project that I could wrap up in a few days.
The remainder of the piecing was very quick. The technique for making the improvised strips was super easy and took little planning on my part. I was able to finish off the remainder of the top in one day, and I was quite happy with that speed.
I had initially planned on using a solid yellow backing, but both of the yellow Kona cottons at the store had less than I needed on the bolt. I took a chance that I would be able to find something at JoAnn's and in the end I was so happy my first choice didn't work out. I used a Denyse Schmidt print (which is pretty much the only fabric I buy from JoAnn's now) and it worked perfectly. I love the all over brightness with the subtle design so much.
Quilting is always my toughest challenge, but this time I stuck with a tried and true stippling pattern, and I did okay with it all. Not perfect, but I'm getting better. One of these days I'll branch out, but I wasn't in the mood to pick out stitches when new attempts didn't work out with this one.
The kit also came with enough of the same gray fabric from the front of the quilt to make the binding, but I decided that I wanted something with contrast. I chose a much lighter gray and white, Michael Miller polka dot print. I think it really finishes the whole quilt off nicely. The design of the whole quilt, despite the dark gray, feels very bright and fun. I'm so happy with it!
And of course, here's the necessary quilt and dog shot. Hudson wasn't in the mood to look at me, since I had just woken him up from his job (nap) to take photos. I think though, since he was previously sleeping on the quilt, that he approves of my work.