love beads finale
After a tense trip through the wash last night, The Quilt is complete! I could not be any happier with it.
I ended up picking a solid turquoise Kona cotton for my binding, to match the turquoise print that I used for the lines between the beads. It's so simple, but it does a nice job of making the lower half of the quilt not feel so boring in all of it's off-white-ness. At first, I wished that I had more of the print to use for the binding, but it's been years long gone. Once I found the close match in the Kona, it seemed like an obvious choice to go with a solid. I'm very pleased with it.
I'm also really pleased with how the quilting in the circles came out after the wash and dry. I was nervous that since I used such tight quilting lines that there was the possibility that I'd get some nasty puckering. I got lucky though, and the circles look fantastic both on the front and back of the quilt. I also love how it feels--the mass of quilting makes this so much more tactile than anything I've done before.
Last night's washing wasn't without a little drama though. I added a smidge of Downy to the wash to soften things up, but after it finished drying, I realized there were about a half a dozen little Downy stains all over the bottom of it. I scrubbed the spots with some detergent and sent it right back through the wash. So far, all the spots seem to have faded, but it's certainly not the first thing you want to find on your finished project.
I am so happy to have this completed. It's renewed an interest in finishing quilting projects that I've had sitting, waiting for me for several years. The time I spent hand quilting were relaxing and enjoyable again. To be this excited about finishing this project and moving on to more is well worth the time it took to finish this.